The fictional sleepy village of Raventhorpe is located at the end of the equally fictitious Yorkshire Wolds Light Railway - although a medieval village of that name is shown historical maps and appears in the Domesday Book. Originally constructed in the 1800's the short light railway was intended to help the scattered agricultural communities of this northerly part of East Yorkshire to get their products to the markers of York, Beverley and Hull by linking them with the Market Weighton to Beverley line at its southern end.
Saved from closure in the 1960's by a group of local people the Yorkshire Wolds Light Railway now provides regular passenger services using the last remaining Sentinel Steam Railcar and assorted 0-6-0 steam locomotives on loan from British Rail. The rolling stock is an eclectic mix of old carriages borrowed or bought by the railway from a variety of sources and, in some cases, refurbished by a small but dedicated band of enthusiasts. Goods services continue to provide domestic coal supplies, animal feedstuffs, assorted agricultural supplies and a well used horse dock allowing cattle, sheep, pigs and horses to be transported to market or the many agricultural shows around the county.
This 8' x 2' layout packs a great deal into a small space including a station, goods shed, coal yard, turntable and horse / loading dock - most of this in just 5' of railway scenic spots. The remaining space is occupied by the three road sector plate and a village road scene. The layout is built in finescale 0 gauge (7mm:ft) and operates using DCC.